Students are free to choose programs that are not affiliated with the University of Mississippi. Please note that "Non-UM" programs are handled differently than UM-affiliated study abroad programs.
All coursework on a program independent of The University of Mississippi will be recorded as transfer
credit. Students participating in a Non-UM program will not be enrolled at the University of Mississippi during the term abroad. This can affect financial aid, graduation, honors status, etc. upon return to campus. Students are considered as taking a leave of absence from the university and may be required to reapply to the University of Mississippi to return to campus.
Credits earned on a program that is not sponsored by the University of Mississippi (i.e. a Non-UM Program) will be transfer
credit. In order to post transfer credits properly, students are required to complete a Transfer Credit Course Approval Form to determine the exact credits and how the grades will be posted. This process is completed through meeting with an academic advisor, departments, and academic dean. If the courses are entered in the Transfer Equivalency Database
through the Registrar’s Office, the courses will transfer according to the database.
Students should investigate the institution granting credit prior to departure. Credits will be posted differently based on the type of institution granting credit:
- If the transcript is issued by a UNITED STATES institution, grades earned will be posted as ABCDF grades.
- If the transcript is issued by a FOREIGN institution, grades earned will be posted as ZWIF grades.
The cost to transfer credit from non-UM programs is $250 per transcript, billed to the student's bursar account.
In order to avoid delays in processing the transcript, students should arrange for the transcript to be sent to the following address:
Study Abroad Office
The University of Mississippi
P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677
FINANCIAL AID AVAILABILITY FOR NON-UM PROGRAMS
If you receive financial aid, you may inquire in the Office of Financial Aid about the possibility of seeking a Consortium Agreement
between the University of Mississippi and the institution hosting your program. Such an agreement may allow you to receive some types of your financial aid for the program.
Students participating in programs that require a consortium agreement are not eligible for State Aid (MTAG, MESG, William Winter, etc.) nor are they eligible for Institutional or Foundation Scholarships (Academic Excellence, Lucky Day, Non-Resident Alumni, etc.). The only types of aid eligibility with a consortium agreement are: Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal PLUS loans or private (alternative) loans.
Students whose programs are administered by another institution must complete a Consortium Contract with the host institution. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid to initiate this agreement at least six weeks prior to the beginning of the program
. Allow sufficient time for you and the Office of Financial Aid to complete the following steps:
- Student must submit a completed Transfer Credit Course Approval Form to the Study Abroad Office for “out of country” programs or Permission to Transfer Form for “American Universities” to your department or dean confirming that the credits earned in the program will transfer back and be counted toward your degree requirements.
- Complete Direct Deposit Form with the Office of the Bursar.
- Student must plan to be billed by the other institution and not the University of Mississippi. The University of Mississippi will send financial aid proceeds to you and you must arrange to handle your bill directly with the other institution.