Skip to content

Information About Health Insurance & Services


The University of Mississippi requires that all international students have adequate medical and accident insurance coverage, and you will be automatically enrolled in the University of Mississippi Office of International Programs health insurance policy. Enrollment into the insurance policy is automatic for F-1, J-1, J-2, and H-4 visa holders, as well as people with pending Permanent Residency. The cost for health insurance is billed to your Bursar Account at the beginning of each semester.

Insurance waivers are available to students who have insurance through their home university that meets the requirements of J-1 visa holders. Please email if you wish to fill out an insurance waiver. If your waiver is approved, you will still be charged the University of Mississippi insurance fee at the beginning of the semester, but this fee will be removed from your Bursar Account during the first few weeks of the semester. 
Students enrolled in fall semester classes will be covered and charged for health insurance for the months of August through December. Students enrolled in spring semester classes will be covered and charged for health insurance for the months of January through August. Students attending UM for the full academic year will be charged for health insurance at the beginning of each semester.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a mandatory referral requirement under the University of Mississippi plan. Students are required to be seen at the University of Mississippi V.B. Harrison Health Center first. There will be no coverage for treatment received without a referral from the Student Health Center.
For more information about the Health Insurance Policy provided through the University of Mississippi please find the Plan Brochure at:
Once you connect to the web site follow these steps:
  • Click "Find Your School."
  • Enter: "University of Mississippi."



There are several centers on campus to ensure your health and wellness. Please follow the links provided to learn more about these services.

Campus Recreation: 
Turner Center
South Campus Recreation Center
Group Fitness
Intramural Sports
Outdoor Adventure Trips

Health and Counseling: 
Student Health Center and Pharmacy
University Counseling Center