Skip to content

Health and Safety/Emergencies Abroad

International Health Insurance

The Study Abroad Office enrolls all students in a comprehensive international health insurance policy through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).  This is a requirement and currently costs $250 per semester (less for short-term programs).  Although some students may be doubly-covered by insurance in countries that require students to enroll in country-wide insurance (such as France, Germany, Japan, Australia, etc.), please note that this health insurance requirement cannot be waived.  

Prior to the official program start date, students can access their insurance card, insurance policy, confirmation of coverage, claim forms, and other resources at the CISI site.  Students should be able to access the insurance card and information about how to make a claim and use the insurance through the CISI website.  To begin, create an account from the home page (top right - “Login to myCISI") to access the policy, card, and forms.

If students find themselves in an emergency situation overseas, they follow the emergency instructions on their insurance card (call 1-312-935-1703 collect from outside the US or email  All students have the same emergency phone number to call.  

In addition, myCISI apps are available for both iPhone and Android.


Students are responsible for consulting a physician regarding health concerns and preventative medicines for their country of study.  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offer Traveler's Health Resources for all countries.  Visit the CDC website here.

The University of Mississippi Student Health Center also offers the services of a travel pharmacist.  Please visit the UM Student Health Center website for more information.


Students should be knowledgeable of the politics, government, safety, geography, and culture of their country of study.  Not only is this background useful in being a savvy and respectful traveler, it will also provide guidance for following cultural norms, staying safe, and assimilating into the host culture.  The U.S. Department of State provides country specific information on their website:

The Study Abroad Office also HIGHLY recommends that students enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program through the US State Department:
This program alerts the embassies and consulates in the host countries (both the chosen country of study and any other travel) of US citizens' presence in the case of a security emergency or evacuation.  Students who are citizens of countries other than the U.S. should consult their home country's embassy services.

The Study Abroad Office requires a pre-departure orientation discussing health and safety issues.  Students will have the opportunity to ask questions and receive the above resources in hard-copy form.

Upon arrival in their host country, students will also receive in-country instructions either from their host institution or faculty leader/resident director.  It is of utmost importance that students follow on-site instructions.  Host institutions are much more versed in the areas of the city and country that should be avoided, cultural norms that should be followed, and general safety instructions for the host country.  Faculty leaders and resident directors have also been trained to handle emergencies abroad.

The Study Abroad Office staff closely monitors world events and potential security risks.  We will take action in conjunction with CISI to make sure all students are safe should a security risk arise.  If any student feels insecure, students should contact the Study Abroad Office and discuss the concerns.  We will proceed with a security assessment and continue to monitor the region and program.