|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Housing Options:||Home Stay|
|Areas of Study:||African Studies, Education, History, Humanities, International Studies, Linguistics, Literature, Other Language and Literature, Political Science, Politics, Public Health, Religion/Theology||Class Status:||2-sophomore|
|Program Type:||study abroad||Language of Instruction:||English, French, Other|
Senegal is one of the region's most developed, democratic, and friendly nations, making seaside Dakar a prime spot to explore Senegalese culture. Your adventure includes innovative classes in Senegalese history, politics, religion, public health, development, and more. Plus, you'll explore the country, experience family traditions firsthand, and pursue causes you care about to cap off a remarkable summer experience.
GET TO KNOW THE CULTURE
with special field trips and excursions to places like Saint Louis, Toubab Dialaw, Gorée Island, and Dakar museums.
LIVE WITH A DAKAR HOST
and boost your language skills while you experience the principal aspects of Senegalese culture – family and social life.
TAKE CLASSES IN ENGLISH
or French, depending on your language skills.
Excursions & Activities
- Venture off for a weekend at a fishing village and artist's colony in Toubab Dialaw or to Saint Louis - former capital of French West Africa, or another exciting destination.
- Visit historic Gorée Island, the biggest coast center for slave trade from the 1400s to the 1800s.
- Participate in cultural activities in and around Dakar.
- Lend a hand and get culturally unique work experience via Dakar NGOs. You might teach English or math to kids or help with urban healthcare projects.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two-day orientation – an introduction to Senegalese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2019||03/06/2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.